If your HomePod responds to requests to play songs with “Now Playing (song name)…”, but doesn’t actually play the song, read on for the fix. This works only if you have an Apple TV (because the Apple TV<—>HomePod connection is the source of the problem).
Here’s what to do.
- From an iOS device, open the Control Center (swipe down from top-right corner).
- Long-press on the top-right corner of the audio control widget (where the radio wave icon is).
- Notice that the Apple TV is connected to the HomePod. This is the problem.
- Use the pyramid-emanating-radio-waves icon on the Apple TV control to disengage the Apple TV from the HomePod (uncheck the HomePod).
- Your HomePod should now appear in this audio control view.